Celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera and Lady GaGa are just a few stars who are well-known for their outrageous eyelashes. These women have set the trends for false eyelashes and never miss a beat â€“ however sometimes eyelash enhancements can take a turn for the worse.
Britney Spearsâ€™ infamous 2006 Today Show interview with Matt Lauer had people buzzing, especially when her false eyelashes began to fall off mid-interview! According to Barbara Rattigan, founder of Shavasana Eyelash Extensions, â€œApplying beautiful, sexy lashes is truly an art.Â Just like applying make up to the face lashes can transcend your look to a new level.Â Lashes can provide you with a youthful appearance and lift the eye in all the right places.â€ Below, Barbara offers pointers on how to â€œlash outâ€ the right way:
There are two types of lash applications we can look at â€“ Eyelash Extensions and False lashes. False lashes are applied by you or a makeup professional for a one day look.Â Eyelash Extensions will last you for months with touch ups.Â There are many must Doâ€™s and please Dont’s in the lashing world.
The Doâ€™s of False Eyelashes
- Cut the strip to fit the shape of your eye
- Use a flare lash to add dimensions and volume on the outer corner of the lash line
- Apply mascara lightly to the lashes previous to applying the false lash
- Use eye liner over the top of the lash line to blend the false lash and the natural lash line
The Donâ€™ts of False Eyelashes
- Donâ€™t rush your false lash application. Make sure to blow the adhesive completely dry.Â The strip could fall out and when you least expect it.
- Donâ€™t go too long or too thick unless itâ€™s Halloween or youâ€™re channeling your inner Gaga.
When planning to get lash extensions you really are depending on the advice and consult of the Eyelash Extension Specialist.Â Choosing your professional is important.Â Make sure these are the Rules and Regulations your Salon/Spa professional follows.
Proper placement of the extensions can add dimension and fullness to your lashes while creating a youthful appearance to your eyes by lifting the lid in all the right places.Â Just like a proper brow shaping, proper lash placement can change your entire appearance.Â Applying good lash extensions is truly an art. Consultation is a must.
Doâ€™s for Eyelash Extensions
- Do choose an appropriate length and thickness to match your natural lash.Â This is an extension to your natural lash. Â Contrary to what we see often in the media, overdone lashes can make you look tired and cheap.Â You want to look naturally blessed with amazing lashes.Â To the untrained eye impossible to differentiate real from fake.Â Â Too thick, too long lashes can harden your look.
- Do soften up on your make up.Â Lash Extensions will add a lot of definition your lash line.Â Heavy liners or dark shadows could be too strong for the eyes to carry.
- Do follow your maintenance schedule for touch up appointments.Â An overdue lash appointment can look messy and unruly. Fill in your lashes with mascara until you can make your next appointment. Make sure to only use water soluble mascara that is safe to use with your lash extensions.
Donâ€™ts for Eyelash Extensions
- Not looking age appropriate is the most common mistake made in eyelash extensions.Â Lashes that are too thick or too long can actually age you.Â The extensions should accentuate your lashes and lift the eye up, not pull it down.Â If you are young, tight faced, with no wrinkles around the eyes and stunningly beautiful you can really rock the over the top.Â If youâ€™re like the majority of women, you will need a professional consultation to figure out the best look for your face.
- Donâ€™t go into your appointment guns blazing.Â Asking for the thickest and longest lashes available probably isnâ€™t going to be your best look.Â Your extensions should extend your naturals but not double them in length.Â The thickness is supposed to match your natural eyelash and adding volume can be done by building thicker lashes on the top rows.
Sounds Greek?Â Take this article with you to your lash appointment.Â A true lash artist and professional will understand the terms and look.
- Colored lashes can be fun on a teenager for a High School Football game, but not for a grown woman with a family and a career.Â The experimentation of highlighting with lashes has run its course.Â This is not a fashion forward trend.Â Â The 80â€™s are kind of back, but there is a fine line on this look.Â Â If you want to highlight the color of your eyes, use make up, not colored glittered, or highlighted lashes.
- Donâ€™t assume the bigger the better. â€œThe bigger the lash the bigger my eyes will lookâ€ thought is not true when it comes to lash extensions.Â Super long and extra thick extensions can actually make your eyes look smaller.Â Too thick eyelashes can weigh down your lashes covering your eyes.Â Too long can create the illusion of a sunken eye.Â Lashes that shape your lash line correctly will open your eyelid and emphasize the color of your eyes making them look bigger.
Remember: lash extensions should accentuate your eyes.Â You want people to say you have the most beautiful lashes not the most beautiful extensions.